The best Freeware, Abandonware, and other free games from across the internet week 3!!!
Welcome to week 3 of my article on free games from across the internet. In this article I will cover more games from the Freeware, Abandonware, and Flash games sections as well as including a new section on free to play MMORPG’s.
1. The very first game on the list this week is a Legend of Zelda like turn based RPG named Knights of Dillaria: Twin Worlds, which is a direct sequel to the first game Knights of Dillaria. This game, much like The Legend of Zelda a Link to the Past, has 2 worlds in which your actions in one affect the other world. The game has a combination of real time and turn based battles, a 24 hour night and day system, 8 dungeons, the ability to cook potions, nonscripted, completely random weather and you can hire mercenaries to help you battle and a number of other features as well. The game is great fun and I highly recommend the game to anyone that enjoys classic Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy, or just old school RPG’s. You can find this game here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f3801.html You can also find the first game here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f2975.html
1.1 An honorable mention for classic RPG’s is a game called Ahriman’s Prophecy. Created by Amaranth Productions, the game offers over 50+ hours of gameplay and 40+ quests to complete. The game is vast and very enjoyable to play and I recommend the game to anyone that enjoys classic RPG’s. You can find this game among others here: http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/ahriman/
2. The second game is a 3d shooter created using the unity engine called Avert Fate. The game was originally created as a tech demo to show off the power of the unity engine and to show off what a 2 man team could create with it. The game is a shooter much like doom, where the objective is to shoot any enemies in your way. The main enemies are robots with a giant robot as the main boss. The game offers some quick bursts of fun and I recommend it to anyone looking to kill some time to shoot a bunch of robots. You can find the game here: http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/avert-fate.html
2.1 Another great honorable mention is a Fast paced shooter much like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament and that’s Alien Arena. The goal the creators of the game had for creating Alien Arena was to make a perfect combination of both Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament and have been upgrading the game since 2004. The game offers online battles such as Deathmatch, Team Core Assault, All Out Assault, Capture the Flag, Duel and Cattle Prod. There are various mutators players can use in matches as well much like Unreal Tournament. The game is immensely fun and I highly recommend the game to any fan of Quake or Unreal Tournament or anyone that enjoys anything other than Call of Duty. You can find the game here: http://red.planetarena.org/aquire.html
3. For the third game I chose a Remade classic and that’s Space Invaders 3D. The game is a 3D remake of the classic atari game and still to this day is immensely fun to play. The game features the same gameplay mechanics as the classic with improved visuals. I recommend anyone that enjoyed the original game or anyone that enjoys classic games in general. You can find the game here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f1938.html
4. The fourth game is another remake of a classic game and that’s Prince of Persia 4D. As a remake of the original Prince of Persia game released in 1990, the game offers greater challenge and difficulty. The puzzles within the game were improved upon with difficulty in mind that are sure to stump many people. I recommend the game to anyone who has played the original or greatly enjoys classic games. You can find this game here: http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/prince-of-persia-4d/
4.1 Another Classic Remake I’d like to mention is a game called Pac-Mania Worlds 3D which is a 3D remake of the classic Pacman games. Using a 3D engine to recreate the classic the game offers 30+ unique levels to complete. The game looks great and is immensely fun to play as well and I highly recommend the game to any fan of Pacman games and or classic games. You can find the game here: http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f1292.html
5. The final Freeware game this week is a platformer called Alter Ego. In this game the main character has an alternate self that mirrors your moves either horizontally or vertically and you can only switch between them to reach your goal a limited number of times. The game also offers neon psychedelic graphics that adds a more disorienting feel to the game. Recommended to anyone that enjoys a different kind of platformer, and those that enjoy platformers in general. You can find this game here: http://www.megagames.com/freeware/alter-ego-free-full-game?tab=downloads
5.1 Another honorable mention in the platformer/shooter area is a game called Counter Strike 2D. The game is a 2D demake of Counter strike, complete with online and offline game modes, fast paced action gameplay, all the original Counter-Strike weapons as well as crazy new weapons including Portal guns, Lasers turrets and RPGs are just some examples. Many various gameplay modes including CS-like, Deathmatch, Zombies, and Construction to name a few. A map editor is also included, and many more features as well. You can find this great game here: http://www.cs2d.com
1. The very first game on the abandonware list this week is an immensely great 4X turn based strategy game named Master of Orion. Originally released in 1993 on MS-DOS and Mac, the game plays similarly to the Civilization games where you manage and research technologies, diplomacy and espionage as well as managing a planets economy. You start with a single planet and throughout the game battle against the many different cpu factions for control over others. You achieve victory within the game by either eliminating all opposing enemies or being elected supreme leader of the galaxy. The game also offers a random map generator in which the game automatically changes the planets and map layout each new game that is played. There are also various Technologies to research and these categories include computers, construction, force fields and protective shields, planetology, propulsion and weapons. There are also 10 separate species in the game, and combat is real time or you can choose to resolve the battle automatically. You can find this great game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/697/ You will also need DOS-Box in order to play it and you can find this here: http://www.dosbox.com/
1.1 An honorable mention in the strategy category is a game called Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods. Populous II was originally released in 1991 and is a god game where you control and guide your followers as well as battling enemy gods. In this game you take the role of a Demigod who is one of Zeus’ many children with mortal women, and you battle one Greek deity at a time until finally facing Zeus himself. There are 30 Divine Intervention spells in this game compared to the 8 in the original game with 6 various categories including, Earth, Water, Wnd, Fire, Plants and People. The game features 1000 maps for the player to complete based on the players performance. For example if you give an outstanding performance you will be able to skip a few maps ahead. You can find this game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/793/
2. The second game on this list is a game I greatly enjoyed as a kid and that’s Need for Speed II. The game has three main game types, single race, tournament and knockout race, and 6 seperate tracks called, Meditteranean, Mystic Peaks, Proving Grounds, Outback, North Country and Pacific Spirit. The cars that are playable from the start are the Mclaren F1, Ferrari F50, Ford GT90, Jaguar XJ220, Lotus GT1 and Lotus Espirit V8 among others. My favorite vehicle to drive was the cheat code vehicle UFO. You can find this game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/170/
2.1 An honorable mention in the racing game genre is another game I greatly enjoyed as a kid and that’s Test Drive 6. Featuring various game modes including Cop Chase, Challenge Mode, Single Race, Tournament and Stop the Bomber. The game also features 41 licensed vehicles which can also be upgraded. You can find this game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/401/
3. Next in this section is a 2D platformer called Rayman. I’m sure most people know of Rayman from his newest adventure Rayman Origins but this game is where it all started. Rayman is a platformer originally released in 1995. The game is a 2D sprite based platformer with various locations based on many different themes. You can find this game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/341/
3.1 An honorable mention in the 2D platformer section of this article is Sonic and Knuckles Collection. The Sonic and Knuckles collection is a compilation of Sonic games released in 1997. The games included are Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Blue Sphere. You can find this game here: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/321/
4. Game number 4 is a game based on genetics! SimLife: The Genetic Playground is a game made by Maxis. You have complete control over an ecosystem and the genetics of the life in that ecosystem. The main goal of the game is to ultimately create a self sustaining ecosystem. SimLife allows you to create and modify worlds, create and modify plants and animals at the genetic level, design environments and ecosystems, study genetics in action, simulate and control evolution and change the physics of the universe. There are a vast number of animals and plants to genetically mess with. You can find this game here: www.classic-gaming.net/game/341/
5. The final game in this section is The Elder Scrolls Arena. The first game in The Elder Scrolls series, Arena was released for free in 2004 to mark the 10th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls series. The game is played through a first person perspective and takes place during the time Jagar Tharn imprisons and impersonates Uriel Septim VII. The game is also unforgiving to new players even in the beginning stages of the game, within the first dungeon if you linger too long enemies will become more and more powerful ultimately making it increasingly difficult to complete it. You can find this game here: http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena
1. The first browser game this week is a game called Castle Empires Online and no it’s not a Facebook game. Castle Empires is a city building strategy game created by the same makers as The Settlers games and is setup quite similarly. The game has a vast number of buildings and units to create, and since it’s an online game as well it incorporates a number of MMO features as well such as trading resources between other people. There are also a large number of quests to complete for XP to help you level up. Buidlings are seperated into various sections on the UI, basic buildings, intermediate buildings, advanced buildings and expert buildings. There are also a number of other areas on the UI as well including guilds, mailing, a trader and a friends panel. You can play this game here: http://www.castleempireonline.com/en/play
2. The second game on this list is a browser based game design program that is rather amusing. It’s called Atmosphir. With this tool you can create your own game worlds and adventures to share with other people or you can load up other people’s created worlds and play through them with your own character. Definitely recommend it to anyone that loves to create and be creative, you can find this here: http://www.atmosphir.com/
3. Next on the list we have a fairly new game Jagged Alliance Online. Like the other games in the series this is a strategic tactical game. At the character and company creation you choose your company name as well as your first mercenary from a number of classes including, scout, commando, sniper, gunner and soldier and once you’ve chosen your first mercenary and name you’re ready to begin the game. You can play this game here: http://jaggedalliance.gamigo.com/en/
3.1 Another game I’d like to mention that is in closed beta right now is a game called UFO online. Made in the same universe as the classic UFO games the game has an expandable base, 3 factions, a variety of mercenary classes and skills, upgradeable weapons and items and tactical battles against the AI and other players. you can find the game here: http://ufo-online.gamigo.com/
4. The fourth game in this category is a game called Super Smash Flash, which is basically a flash version of Super Smash Brothers and it’s great fun. The game features a 2D graphics style and various characters from Nintendo and the game plays very similarly to Super Smash Brothers as well. Highly recommended, and you can play the game here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333995
4.1 Another honorable mention is Metal Slug Flash which is a flash version of the Konami classic Metal Slug. The game is a sidescrolling run and gun shooter, similar to Contra. You can play the game here: http://www.mofunzone.com/online_games/metal_slug_flash.shtml
5. The next game on the list is flash version of Portal. With over 40 levels to complete and all the bells and whistles from the original games, any fan of Portal will enjoy this game. You can play this game here: http://portal.wecreatestuff.com/portal.php
Finally on to the newest section of the article, MMORPG’s. MMORPG’s or Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games are games that allow you to play with thousands of people around the worlds at once. This part of the article will cover Free to Play MMOPRG’s those which don’t require a monthly fee to play but give you the option whether or not to pay for various items.
1. The very first game in this new section is an action fighting game similar in a way to Super Smash Brothers and the game is called Lost Saga. Lost Saga is a platformer fighting game somewhat similar to Super Smash Brothers, the only difference is it’s an actual fighting game and knocking the enemy out of the ring isn’t required but is possible. The characters you can choose from are based on characters from various myths, legends, sci fi, fantasy and history some heroes include, Captain Hook, the Grim Reaper, Robin Hood, Ice Mage, Iron Knight, Musketeer, Devil Ranger and Puppeteer to name only a few of the many characters to choose from. Each character has their own levels and skills to use in battle. My favorite characters have always been the Treasure Hunter and Robin Hood. You also have various ranks that increase as you win battles and gain XP. There are a number of game modes to play as well, Boss Raid, Crown Control, Crusade, Death Match, Fishing Mode, Ghost Tag, Ladder Mode, Power Stone, Prisoner Mode, Soccer Mode (or football mode for the European readers) and Relic Hunter. There are also 20 maps in the game to choose from and battle on as well, and battles can host up to 16 people at a time which provides some intense fighting and fun. There are also a Faction War feature and various quests, gear and items for you to buy with your hard earned money. You can download and play this game here: http://lostsaga.ogplanet.com/en/main.og
2. The second game on the list and one of my favorites is The Lord of the Rings Online. The game features an immense game world to explore rich with the lore from The Lord of the Rings books and an engaging storyline that runs parallel to the ones written in the books. There are many races to play as including, the Race of Men, Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves and 9 classes to choose from, including, Champion, Ranger, Minstrel, Lore-Master and Guardian with Rune Keeper and Warden. The games crafting (my favourite part of the game) is very in-depth and allows you to create very nice weapons, armor, items and materials. I recommend the game to any fan of The Lord of the Rings that can recognize every area from the books and lore. The first time I saw The Shire was awesome. You can download and play the game here: http://www.lotro.com
3. MMO number 3 is a game called War of the Immortals. War of the Immortals is a Diablo style MMO based on many different Mythologies. There are 8 classes all together: Berzerker, Champion, Duelist, Enchantress, Heretic, Magus, Ranger and Slayer. There are also a wide variety of events to take part in each day as well as 115 levels all together. The pet system is the best part of the game however. You can capture any enemy within the game as a pet to aid you in battle. There are a number of various instances and raids to play through as well. You can download and play this game here: http://woi.perfectworld.com/
4. The fourth MMO I’d like to mention is another personal favorite of mine called Atlantica Online. The game is a turn based strategic RPG where you can recruit a number of various mercenaries to help fight with you in battle. Battles play out like an old school turn based RPG where you and your mercenaries take turns fighting the enemy, but if your main character dies it’s game over and you have to respawn in town. The classes you can choose from are, Sword and shield, Axe, Spear, Staff, Gun, Cannon, Bow, Guitar and Power Saw and the various mercenaries are based on historical figures based on their weapon of choice, for example one spearman is a spartan and their final upgrade is Leonidas. There is also various areas that allow for tactical turn based battles similar to games like Fire Emblem, and guilds can control towns. You can download and play this game here: http://atlantica.nexon.net
5. The final game this week that I’d like to mention is a super hero MMO called Champions Online. This games greatest area is it’s character customization. You can create any type of character you want from the many many costume pieces. There are a number of Archetypes that determine your power set, premium members can use the free-form power set which allows you to create your own set of powers and customize them any way you want. Some of the archetypes are The Soldier, The Behemoth, The Mind, The Grimoire and The Blade. There are a number of Premium Archetypes as well. The game also features a large world to quest in and a PvP system to battle against other people. You can download and play this game here: http://champions-online.com/
That concludes this weeks article folks, Thanks again for reading and I hope you all enjoy the games listed here, and be sure to look forward to next weeks article as well. I’ve still got a lot to cover! Happy gaming everyone!
Shaun Meyers (Kyo Akiara) Out!