3.61 Firmware Update: F**k you Sony!

3.61 Firmware Update: F**k you Sony!

Don’t I feel like a tit right about now.

During our recent podcast I didn’t exactly defend Sony’s handling of the hacking incident rather, I forgave them for it. I said that the vitriol aimed at them from gamers was generally quite excessive, especially considering it was developers that were hurting more than the consumer.

No, I said. I don’t care about free games and a free month’s subscription to a service I didn’t even know existed. I’m cool with you Sony just get your network back up and running so I can play online again. Thats all I want. These things happen, all is forgiven.

I should have been more god damn specific. I should have said that I would rather wait another month and be sure that what was being delivered into the guts of my PS3 was safe, secure and functioning. Instead I downloaded some fucking devil code that rapes my PS3 innards.

Sunday night I downloaded the 3.61 firmware update and after a few minutes playing some Super Streetfighter 4 my machine resets to a blinking red light. After resetting I try again. Five minutes into the game bam. Black screen, that horrible PS bleep and its flashing again. The next time I try and reset the PS3 it wouldn’t even start. It flashes once yellow and then a continious flashing of ominious red.

The dreaded YLOD.

What the Fuck Sony? It’s one thing to be the victim of a hacking attack where sympathy is due. Its another to bumble around in the dark trying to placate your customers into remaining patient. The whole time holding back critical information on the depth of your failure. Hell I can forgive that as well.

Its completely another thing to turn my PS3 into a useless black lump under my TV. That I cannot fucking forgive.

Thats a lot of games and many many blu-rays that are all completely useless now. I guess my local Game store will be recieving a lot of trade ins tomorrow.

As a gamer I am fucking furious. As a consumer I can avow that I will never pay to have my PS3 replaced nor will I buy any other piece of shite with the Sony brand logo attached. I am no Microsoft fanboy, the other site members can attest to that, but I find it staggering that Sony can make Microsoft look so appealling. Its fucking ironic that Sony themselves have been far more successful in making the 360 more attractive to me than any ad campaign Microsoft have conjured over the years.

That is when you know you have failed when your own actions and customer support have driven long loyal customers to your competitor.

Fuck you Sony!

1. Dani says
    07/26/2011, 3:58 PM

This happened to me as well. I have the fat 2007 model. My PS3 is really only used for watching blu-ray and netflix. But I had to do the update to use it. So….did the update, machine turned off afterwards. The next morning I went to turn it on….YLOD.
    This cannot be a coincidence. My PS3 was kept clean, never used for graphically intensive gaming…etc. Kinda pisses me off. Sony said they can fix it for 150.00, but the machine is old….I’m sorry, I don’t consider 4 years, old. But, I guess I really don’t have a choice but to get a new one now….

2. TERZ2010 says
    06/04/2011, 6:00 PM

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW IM IN THE UK AND NOW THERE IS A JOINT MOVEMENT OF USERS WHO’S MACHINES HAVE BRICKED INCLUDING MINE AFTER 3.61 UPDATE. BEFORE YOU START THE ABUSE MY 40GB WAS HARDLEY USED NEVER ONLINE MORE THAN 4 TIMES NEVER ONCE CAUSED ME A PROBLEM. EVENTUALLY I GAVE IN TO MY FRIENDS TO PLAY BLACK OPS ONLINE UPDATED TO 3.61 2 DAYS AND A HANDFULL OF GAMES …GONE. DIDNT OVERHEAT AS WHEN IT WENT IT WAS ON FOR LESS THAN 5 MINS SO UNLESS ITS TURNED INTO AN IRON DONT GIVE ME THAT CRAP

3. Rick says
    05/28/2011, 5:37 PM

Ealiom,
    Found this blog post as one of the many many google search results for this problem.
    I had the EXACT same thing happen last night, installed 3.61 on my fat 20GB and 5 minutes into GT5 off a cold boot, it powered down with the blinking lights, and after a couple attempts at restarting for a couple of minutes at a time, it went full on YLOD. My PS3 has had ZERO problems and is kept well-ventilated and never run for more than a couple hours at a time. It was off a cold boot and did NOT overheat – still cool to the touch in fact. This is 100% due to the firmware update IMO. Negative press travels fast and I will be sure to continue to post my story everywhere I can. I doubt Sony is ever going to own up to this so I’m out $80 for a 3rd party repair (with a limited lifetime warranty, better than Sony’s!) and Sony will never see another dollar of mine again.

4. Paolo says
    05/23/2011, 7:41 AM

The worst part is that they arent showing us any responsibility that fw 3.61 might be the reason behind the ps3 failures. I have tried calling them and all that they could say is that its a fucking hardware failure due to misuse of the system and then they ask you to pay. I was like wtf have you been reading your forums? So fuck it! ,,|,,

5. Mark says
    05/19/2011, 5:47 PM

Its all over the web now, that the update 3.61 seems to overheat the older models of ps3s. Rockstar games even commentetd on this, yet sony keeps dening it. Its thousands of people having the same problem including me. ITS NOT A COINENCEDENCE! Sony had better do something or I think they are going to start seeing lawsuits. Its only obvious that this is sonys problem and they need to fix it. I contacted fox news about this problem too and next the better business bureau.

6. Eresin says
    05/19/2011, 12:08 PM

Best blog post title ever!

Seriously though they can’t get away with making people pay to get it fixed when it was their firmware that broke it.

7. ZoteX says
    05/19/2011, 9:31 AM

My consol went YLOD right after the 3.61 patch! and Im too are fucking furious!

I’ve been monitoring other websites and It seems that its a pretty large amount of people who has the same problem! I demand a new console from Sony! Got damn it!

8. Unknown says
    05/19/2011, 8:01 AM

There is an Update to this Situation: Rockstar Game says that the 3.61 Update bricks (overheating) older Console models. This seems the case with the older, fat models.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44386/Rockstar-PS3s-are-overheating

9. Mark says
    05/18/2011, 6:50 PM

I contacted Fox news about this issue. I don’t appreciate being blown off by Sony especially after PSN was hacked and my ID was stolen, next step Better Business Bureu. The hundereds maybe thousands of gamers that had the YLOD adter update 3.61 I encourage to do the same and complain to these oranizations.

10. Paul says
    05/18/2011, 1:40 AM

I’m pretty sure the firmware has nothing to do with your YLOD, I’ve had YLOD and it’s caused by overheating.

11. Profile photo of Ealiom
    Ealiom says
    05/18/2011, 12:17 AM

Going to send the troll a few scraps.

Read my rant again turbotim. Your response meant nothing since I agree that Sony’s hack wasn’t something to get worked up about. It was the update that screwed me and others over.
    The I want it now generation? Again reading comprehension will do you wonders.
    Its not childish to say that I will not pay more money to buy a replacement either. I can make do with a single system since they are almost identical these days.
    Trading in the games is childish? I see it as common sense, why would I hold onto games from a now broken console? For a childish sense of nostalgia, or hope that it will magically fix itself?
    The blu-rays will stay on my shelf because I ‘will’ be buying a new blu-ray player.

To all those that sent their condolences over my PS3’s death ;p … Thanks tons.

12. Lynn says
    05/17/2011, 10:42 PM

LOL…sorry to say this but it sounds like your Playstation was gonna die anyway…..its an overheating issue…I had the exact same thing. Its just really crappy it happened around the same time as you downloading the update. Sounds like you just have terrible luck lol Oh well..time to buy a new one.

13. turbotim says
    05/17/2011, 9:08 PM

ahhhh poor baby. dont go back on your position regarding the ps3 hack just because your machine broke. you sound like a little child saying your going to trade in all your game and blurays and also saying you will never buy anything with the sony name on it, blah blah blah. you sound like you are from the I want it now generation and the “microwaves take too long” generation. doing the type of work that i do i have followed many network hacks on various companys over the last ten years and i can say that the way sony handled the psn and soe hack is the best that i have ever seen. no other company has ever communicated so often with the customers filling them in every step of the way like sony did. if you dont agree with me then just look at the timeline and you will see what i am talking about. also you were not kept in the dark about anything, thats just an uninformed comment

14. Matt says
    05/17/2011, 4:15 PM

That sucks. I haven’t had any problems with 3.61 besides having to attempt the patch download a few times because of to many people downloading at once. Other then that I’ve been having a wonderful time.

15. Unknown says
    05/17/2011, 12:09 PM

Wow, did not know this stuff was happening. Installed the 3.61 Firmware last night and Played Red Dead for several hours and did not notice anything unusual. I’m happy that i can play online again, but here in Europe people are angry because the U.S ‘Welcome Back’ Package contains better titles. Here you get Little Big Planet (1), Wipeout HD or Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty. I don’t care about the Package but it is amusing to see how much ‘threats’ are out there to People switching to the M$ Product :)

16. beau says
    05/17/2011, 11:33 AM

since the 3.61 mine flashes black randomly changed HDMI even did the reset nothing helped

17. Mark says
    05/17/2011, 4:19 AM

I had the same problem as you, I emailed sony about it and they want me to pay $129 to have it fixed. AQnd that the would let corporate know about it, yeah right! My reply Fuck You!! There are way too many PS3s bricking to be a coinencedence. They should have to do it for free!!