Top 5 better choices for Catwoman than Anne Hathaway

Top 5 better choices for Catwoman than Anne Hathaway

We all know that Nolan’s Batman movies have been great. Many people doubted that Heath Ledger would be a good Joker, but now we look back on his performance as the definitive version of Batman’s ultimate nemesis. Is it fair then to doubt Nolan can pull the same trick and suprise us all? We’ll need to wait and see, but whoever should be able to channel the demure shyness and the raw sexually that Michelle Pfeifer brought to the role in her seminal performance in Batman Returns. A mature actress with emotional range is key for this role in my opinion so here’s 5 actresses who could fill the role better than the jumbo-mouthed Hathaway.

5. Charlize Theron
She’s the right age to play a slightly more mature, but still gorgeous version of Selina Kyle. In movies like Monster Charlize has also played roles where her look has been transformed completely. Her metamorphosis from submissive office worker to vicious vigilante could see her look and demenour change completely. With movies like Aeon Flux, Charlize also has the athletic figure and action movie chops to pull off this role. She’s the girls who saves Brandon Flower’s by fighting ninjas for crying out loud!

4. Kate Beckinsale

While she made her name in British indie flicks, it was her performance in the schlocky Underworld movies that brough Kate Beckinsale to Hollywood prominence. She’s undeniably gorgeous and she’s proved she can pull of the tight fighting costume and brooding super heroine action scenes. Ugly-ing her up for playing Catwoman’s alter ego will require more than a pair of thick glasses though. (*Another star from Underworld, Mass Effect 2 and Chuck, Yvonne Strahovski, wouldn’t be a bad pick either!*)

(* Update: some kind soul informed me that wasn’t Yvonne but Sophia Myles in Underworld. Man, those two sure do look alike!*)

3. Rachel McAdams

Other than her role in Wes Craven’s underrated thriller Red Eye, McAdams has had few roles with action scenes. In that particular movie she was fantastic though, combining vulnerability with grit and determination she was even better than the reliable Cillian Murphy who played the antagonist of the piece. Recent roles as a bitchy go-getter in Morning Glory shows she has the sass for the role, but playing Catwoman would push her to exhibit sexiness and danger in  way she hasn’t done in her career so far. I would love to see how she could handle such a challenge.

2. Kate Winslett

Where has Kate Winslett gone? She may have come to super-stardom through her wishy-washy performance in Titanic, but it was her off kilter role in Michel Gondry’s Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind that showed what a versatile actress she was. The most far-out suggestion on this list, Winslett would need to train hard for this role and it would be a big ask to expect her to take on a role so different from anything she has ever done. A little older than some on this list, Winslett still looks great and would surely relish a chance to change her public image and play a bad girl for once.

1. Noomi Rapace

In her performance as the eponymous Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Rapace was vulnerable, strong and in one particular leg-crossing scene absolutely terrifying to men. She’s a great actress who’s absolutely mesmerising in the film adapations of Stieg Larsson’s detective novels and commands every scene she’s in. During emotionally draining scenes in the first movie we feel her pain, then see her brutal retribution. She is also the stronger character in these stories, the more determined and more vengeful of the two protagonists. She may be less of a polished beauty than others on this list, but none of them can match her convincing performance through such realistic, compulsive and unflinching scenes.

So that’s my list. Maybe Hathaway will be good in the role, I hope she is. For now though, I’m going to dream of how much better some of these ladies would be in this important role and that iconic costume. Prove me wrong Nolan, prove me wrong!

1. 09/07/2014, 11:22 AM

Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell
    and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the
    shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

2. Gold says
    11/01/2013, 7:26 PM

Anne Hathaway sucked as cat woman.End of story.

3. OrangeCrush says
    08/31/2013, 8:17 PM

One of the best things about the internet is the fact that stories like this stay up for long periods of time, thus were able to look back and see just how clueless a lot of these writers really are. People were up in arms about Hathoway being cast as Catwoman and low and behold, she winds up being the best performance in the entire film. Just goes to show you, opinions are like a*sholes, everyone has one.

4. free beats says
    11/01/2012, 3:48 PM

I used to be recommended this blog via my cousin. I’m no longer sure whether this post is written by means of him as nobody else recognise such distinct about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks!

5. jo says
    06/11/2012, 5:14 AM

while better than the hideously unfeline hagaway, that list is awful, starting with the manfaced winslet with her embarrassing overacting and equally embarrassingly overrated looks. if all 5 Charlize is the best but she still overacts too. and wtheck @ someone always suggesting eva?? she is almost more unattractive than anne, probably even more than kate. she looks 70 (whereas anne only looks and sounds 60 but acts 18):

Rachl Weisz, puts all previous suggestions to absolute shame in looks and talent
    Jennifer Garner
    Ali Larter
    Shalom Harlow (need to see more of her acting but isnt bad)
    Selma Blair
    and her doppelganger Camilla Belle.

actually Rachel is the one I really want. obviously as a sane person I’d love the others too but even though Selina like all comic heroines/villains is corny and badly designed/written, Rachel is PERFECT and unlike Anne, probably didnt even have to take her shirt off for the role!

6. SourOrange says
    05/31/2012, 6:22 AM

Cuthbert, did you take stupid pills before you posted that?

7. 05/23/2012, 1:02 PM

[...] CalmDownTom we have already expressed how disappointed we are at the choice of the pixie faced, cheeseburger mouthed, wide eyed Princess [...]

8. Cuthbert says
    05/23/2011, 9:03 AM

There must be a problem with your web server or the uploading of files, or something like that. Apparently in your list of 5 better choices to play Catwoman, you forgot to actually include 5 better choices.

Most of the suggestions are ridiculous and don’t need any more comment then that, and you have obviously never seen Rapace in anything but “The Girl” movies. She isn’t that good in any other role. The role made the actress in that case, not the other way around.

9. Olu says
    01/23/2011, 11:51 AM

All of those with the potential (though very risky) exception of McAdams would be horrible choices. There aren’t really any of the younger A-List actresses with previous of showing the type of raw and sassy sexiness we’d expect from Catwoman (maybe Emily Blunt) so it would take some departure and risk with whoever Nolan went for. I personally think Carla Guino would have smashed it though I guess the potnetial critisim would have been that time may not be on her side. Alternatively I think Elizabeth Banks has the right look though not seen the acting chops yet. Hathaway is certainly a fine acress so there’s no reason to presume she can’t reinvent what we know of her as a person and from her roles

10. Elise says
    01/22/2011, 4:38 AM

I’d wave pom-poms if Theron had been cast. All Catwoman fans want is an actress that’s beautiful and knows how to act. When I think ‘sexy’ Anne Hathaway doesn’t exactly come to mind (she’s more the kinda-cute-girl-next-door type). But does that even matter? Nolan’s going to do his thing whether we like it or not and we’re just going to have to wait and see.

11. joe says
    01/22/2011, 12:03 AM

I just ignore these things now. I still remember when Heath Ledger was cast as the joker everyone had a big WTF over there heads and talking about why is he the joker we need someone funny an actually “joker” to play him…. Look how that turned out so everyone needs to stfu wait for the movie and watch the magic Nolan has.

12. Profile photo of Ealiom
    Ealiom says
    01/21/2011, 10:59 PM

Dammit Tom you’ve done it now! You’ve only gone an enraged the Anne Hathaway appreciation society. You know better than to fuck with those guys. Say you’re sorry about making fun of her massive double whopper smile. Her enormous googly eyes. Her terrible terrible movies. Her unlikeable characters. Her questionable acting talent.
    Shame on you!

13. Liamario says
    01/21/2011, 8:31 PM

What the hell has being a “hottie” got to do with anything.
    If the role was being given out to whoever looks best in a cat suit, I wouldn’t want to see the movie.
    I think you should leave the casting process to those with remaining brain cells.

14. ralf says
    01/21/2011, 8:29 PM

wow ! what a dumbass you are !

dont you think Nolan knows how to choose an actress better than you …suckaaaaa

15. The Riddler 82 says
    01/21/2011, 5:59 PM

the only good actress on this list was fine ass charlize theron~but anne hathaway is a hottie too and i know she will do a excellent job!

16. DM says
    01/21/2011, 4:19 PM

quit yer bitchin – anne hatheway is hot

17. Mark says
    01/21/2011, 1:32 PM

Theres a reason Nolan’s in charge. DKR will be godly and everyone will be raving about Hathaway and Hardy’s performances.

Most of that list sucks anyway.

18. Dirk says
    01/21/2011, 11:50 AM

I’ve seen Anne Hathaway as a slut and as a princess. Catwoman seems to be a little of both. I think she will do fine.

19. kevin says
    01/21/2011, 5:08 AM

uhhh… Yvonne Strahovski is not in Underworld… you’re thinking of Sophia Myles.

20. Ravechimp says
    01/20/2011, 5:36 PM

Tom Hardy can do no wrong. Swoon etc. Ahem.

21. Profile photo of Tom
    Tom says
    01/20/2011, 5:04 PM

Oh no. No, that’s still not for me. Beauty and beholders and all that, but I’m still not seeing it dude. Oh well, each to his own. Nolan’s been pretty reliable so far so it MIGHT turn out ok. Hardy is a fucking great choice for Bane.

22. Ravechimp says
    01/20/2011, 4:30 PM

Piffle! :-) She’s got lots of charisma. In fact by all accounts she’s feckin’ mental. I give you..

and

23. Profile photo of Tom
    Tom says
    01/20/2011, 4:16 PM

The only slight problem with that is that Eva Green is fucking horrible. Too skinny, no charisma and just no, no no. Still better than giant mouthed, giant eyed Hathaway I suppose.

I think I should have put Rosamund Pike on the list in place of one of the Kate’s….

24. Ravechimp says
    01/20/2011, 4:04 PM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? All wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. The correct answer you were looking for was Eva Green. Eva Green. Thanks for playing though. Besides, Hathaway is only cast as Selina Kyle rather than Catwoman so doubt she’ll actually be dressing up in ridiculous bondage gear in the movie at all and instead will just be a cat burglar who wears black a bit.