Top 5 most disappointing games of 2010

Top 5 most disappointing games of 2010

It would be easy to pick the 5 worst games of the year, but instead we’ll look at the games with potential that failed to impress. There’s a few Phantom Menaces on this list, so lets look at where developers went wrong in 2010.

Fallout: New Vegas

While I was a huge fan of the original, this was unplayable to me. The whole thing is smaller in scope, uglier, glitchier (somehow) and with an uninvolving storyline. The beginning of Fallout 3 was a stunning tour de force, taking you from birth to your jaw dropping emergence from the safety of the vault into the scolding sun of the wasteland. New Vegas meanwhile sets you up on a dull revenge story against an even duller antogonist. Abandoning the epic storyline and oppressive bleakness of the original game, it also introduced features which added little to the fundamental gameplay. The realism mode simply gives you more meters which slowly decline until you find water food and other random bits and pieces. While Fallout 3 balanced inventory management, storyline and exploration, Fallout New Vegas is terribly paced and despite chugging through over ten hours of terrible dialogue and uninspired dungeons I simply could play no more. Heartbreaking.

Medal of Honor

A terrible, cynical title which was explicitly acknowledged by the developers as being an attempt to compete with the COD series. They backed down from including the Taliban despite milking the publicity their inclusion generated. Worse, they damaged videogaming credibility by stating that videogames were only entertainment and therefore could have nothing to say about contemporary world events. To top it all of, Dice wasted their time on the multiplayer component which was a sub-Battlefield affair instead of working on something more worthwhile. Oh, the singleplayer was bad too…

Hydrophobia

A long time coming, this title eventually emerged as a downloadable title. Looking dated and with terrible controls and repetitive, key finding gameplay, the whole experience was a let down. The developers confrontational style with the gaming press was the final nail in the coffin. How many times do deveopers of good games get in a fight with the press?

Crackdown 2

How did it take them so long to release this game? Its almost identical to the first game. While Crackdown was short of gameplay variation, Crackdown 2 is even more streamlined to the extent that the variety in the gameplay is completely gone. If you’re thinking of playing this, go back and revisit the original again instead.

Alien vs Predator

In the PC original, this game was innovative and stunningly atmospheric. The sound, real-time lighting and beep-beep of your heart monitor made this a terrifying, exciting experience. Coming back to the title, Rebellion seemed to simply have nothing to add to the formula. Dated visuals, archaic game mechanics and generic gameplay showed that while Aliens and Predators haven’t moved on, gamers have.

1. Web says
    05/23/2011, 6:45 PM

I really don’t see how anyone could like Fallout 3 more than FONV. Fallout 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time, and I thought they completely ruined the equation with FO3. I think New Vegas brought it back a little closer to the original feeling and world. 3 Was like a crappy gritty wanna be reboot of the series that tried to take itself TOO seriously. New Vegas I thought just had way more to offer even in light of its bugs.

2. Dude says
    05/22/2011, 11:17 PM

I haven’t played the other games, aside from a demo for Hydrophobia, but I completely agree with your comment about AvP. That was a straight up grab ‘n’ run operation – grab our money and gtfo. Seriously. No word from the dev team about anything. They existed long enough to push the “DLC” out, and then what? Do they even exist any more? I don’t think that they do.

The original AvPs were incredible, but this thing was such a mess from the start. No crouching in single player, let alone any modern mechanics built into its game play, and a multiplayer that’s wildly imbalanced to this day. Terrible controls that almost casually ignores the players settings.. and on and on.

That was a team that had no idea what it was doing.

3. Mark says
    01/08/2011, 12:05 AM

New Vegas was great.
    Who the fuck plays medal of honor?
    hydrowhat?
    I don’t know why you had high expectations for “crackdown 2″
    AVP, notice you say “PC Orig.” this is a crappy console port.

I hope you don’t get payed for this shit.

4. Il Duce says
    01/07/2011, 12:07 PM

Fallout New Vegas was grittier and more satisfying than Fallout 3, in my opinion. Why this guy has a bug up his butt about it is beyond me.

5. Desert Ranger says
    01/07/2011, 9:16 AM

I have played every fallout game since the first one. Let’s not kid ourselves on how far the graphics have come since that time. I enjoyed both FO3 and FONV but have to agree with Tom that FONV lacked the epic sweep of navigating the DC Ruins. FONV is truer though to the gritty not black and white gameworld of the older Fallout titles. My biggest frustrations were how linear the gameplay was in some locations (what if I wanted the BOS to take over New Vegas?) and that some of the mechanics did not make logical sense – ie- if I hit a sheet metal wall (or any wall) with a tactical nuke I would expect to be able to go through the gaping hole left in the aftermath.

Kudos do need to be given to the more subtle dialogue driven quests and the tactical buffet of different ammo types and weapon mods. I was amazed that they included both the chainsaw and the .50 caliber rifle. Dreams come true.

6. Avatar of Tom
    Tom says
    01/06/2011, 9:47 AM

Good points Cole, but its my personal most disappointing game of 2010 and I didn’t expect much from FF13, but had high hopes for New Vegas. I’m glad you like it, and I’m sure its not a bad game but for me it just didn’t have enough of what I loved about Fallout 3.

7. Cole says
    01/06/2011, 7:25 AM

If you honestly think f3 was better than NV- you know what, I don’t even know what to say about that actually. If you actually played the game instead of rush the main quest like most people do, you would realize that the game is freakin awesome. I have over 60 hours on mine, and have yet to be bored. There’s always something to do, because there is way more quests then there was in F3, and the storyline isn’t so linear anymore. For example, I wanted to be friends with the BoS, but NCR doesn’t exactly like that. But I don’t want to be on the NCR’s bad side either. The game keeps you guessing like that, always giving you tough choices like that. Fallout 3’s quest line? “Do this.” “OKAY HERPDERP.” I respect your opinion and everything, but don’t you think there are other games deserving of this title of disappinting game? Like FFXIII or FFXIV like those other guys said? Whatever, it’s your thread, or story or whatever it!s called. I’m just saying.

8. Avatar of Tom
    Tom says
    01/05/2011, 1:43 PM

Playing a bad game for more than ten hours would not reduce my pussy-ness Courier.

9. Courier says
    01/05/2011, 1:36 PM

So, you played Fallout: New Vegas for 10 hours and gave up huh? You sir are a pussy. Get a real job.

10. Brfritos says
    01/05/2011, 4:07 AM

The guys is crazy or on chems about FNV. Sure FO3 has a better immersion in the game’s beginning, because after that is an endless “kill the same thing, in the same place, at later time”. But calling the dialogs of 3 better than NV is an insult to any inteligent person.

11. doa766 says
    01/04/2011, 5:11 PM

crackdown 2 was not disappointing because no one expected anything from it

@ Benjamin Lopez: my brother spent around 50 hours just exploring chapter 11 of FF13 so there was plenty of exploration, it just came late in the game

12. Avatar of Tom
    Tom says
    01/04/2011, 5:02 PM

You are totally right about Final Fantasy ( both 13 and 14). Either would have been worthy inclusions.

13. Benjamin Lopez says
    01/04/2011, 4:09 PM

Excuse me? No mention of the forty-hour linear corridor, without any real exploration, known as Final Fantasy XIII? With an Auto-Battle feature and full control over only one character in battle, so gamers won’t have to slightly use their brains to create a battle strategy? In other words, the Disappointment not of the Year, but of the Decade?

Still, I respect your opinions. I still haven’t decided which nickname would be better:

Linear Fantasy XIII?
    Fecal Fantasy XIII?
    Final Corridor XIII?

14. V says
    01/04/2011, 4:08 PM

Actually Medal of Honor was a pretty GOOD game. I enjoyed it WAY better than Black ops which i must say was disappointing, NOT worth $60. MOH was by far a better game multiplayer was better, story was better, people need to play the game instead of going on what other people say but thats just me i loved MOH and fell in love with battlefield 2 online